Helena Youth Soccer Association

Tournament Results May 13 Weekend

Champions and hard fought finishers

Arsenal Girls 2005 Blue Team coached by Sean Lawlor and Jamul Hahn, captured the U12 girls’ championship at the Montana Rush Cup in Great Falls this past weekend, beating the MT Rush 2005 (3-1), MT Rush 2006 (7-0), Helena Arsenal 2006 (3-0), and the MT Rush 2005 in the championship game (4-2). Providing scoring for Helena throughout the tournament were Logan Todorovich (5 goals), Tess Lawlor (5 goals/1 assist), Morgan Hayes (2 goals/2 assists), Madi Todorovich (2 goals, 1 assist), Avery Kraft (1 goal/3 assists), Sydney Emmons (1 goal/1 assist), Josie Esponda (1 goal) and Astri Hahn (1 assist). Solid goal keeping was spearheaded by Morgan Kaufman, with Brooklyn Brisko and Celi Chapman also sharing time in the net. A formidable defense was led by Lauren Hoxie, Chapman, Emmons, Brisko and Esponda, with strong midfield play provided by Lawlor, Logan T. and Madi T. Isabelle Linder, Kraft, Hayes, and Hahn provided the spark on the forward line. The U12 girls are 5-2 in tournament play and 5-1 in conference play for the season thus far.Montana Rush Champs ! Girls U12

The U14 Arsenal Girls Blue team coached by Frank Cornwell and Keith Sayers, were the Champions at the 2017 Montana Rush Tournament in Great Falls this past weekend. Overall the team won all four matches played and gave up only one goal to a very competitive Canadian team from Calgary on the first day. The first match ended in a 6-0 win against Great Falls with a hat trick by Bailey Root and other goals by Sophie Palcisko, Taylor Cornwell and Jenna Rahn. Haiden Plummer and Rylee Cummings combined in goal to seal the clean sheet. The second match paired the girls against our Canadian friends to the north. Arsenal won 2-1. The girls came out firing with goals by Taylor Cornwell, (Assist- Marrin Champan) and Jenna Rahn, (Assist-Sophie Palcisko) in the first half. The second half had tremendous defensive efforts by Rylee Cummings, Rachael Van Blaircom, Meghan Rake and Sophie Palcisko with Haiden Plummer and her aggressive play and great decision making in goal to seal the win. Day two provided a great match with a different Great Falls team that we have had great matches with all season long. Arsenal came out with a tough 1-0 win with the lone goal coming from Baily Root, assisted by Keetyn Sayers. Haiden Plummber and Rylee Cummings once again combined for the shutout victory. In the Championship game, Arsenal played the team from Calgary and came away with the 1-0 victory to seal the tournament title. The winning goal came from an excellent corner kick by Rachel Plaster and controlled beautifully by Bailey Root to score. Haiden Plummer’s timely decision making and ability to find the open person while in goal guaranteed the shut out victory. The weekend success by this club was a total team effort which will play a big role in getting the team ready for the Montana State Cup in 2 weeks in Billings.

U17 Arsenal Girls, coached by Lance Melton with assistance from Lexi Steele and Rick Thompson, traveled to Great Falls for the Montana Rush Cup tournament and competed in the U18 bracket with a result of second place Finalist.  In the first game on Saturday, Arsenal took on the tough North Idaho Inferno and came out on top 4-2.  Goals were scored by Ellie Stiffler (assisted by Kinzi Adams), Cassie Brisko on a direct kick, Sydney Sheridan, and an own-goal off a Brisko corner.  In the second game of the day, Arsenal battled the Montana Rush to a 2-2 tie, with both goals by Jaymee Sheridan (one assist from Adams).  Going in to Sunday’s matches atop the standings but battling injuries, Arsenal subdued the Montana Rush U18 team 2-0, with goals by Sydney Sheridan (Adams assist) and Brisko on a PK.   Arsenal again faced the North Idaho Inferno in the afternoon’s championship match and the battle raged on with neither team able to chip one in until the remaining minutes of the match, when Inferno hit the net to win 1-0.  Rock solid defense by Arsenal players Audrey Arnold, Ty Cummings, Isabelle Melton, Kenzie Schulte, and Ellie Stock was key to the weekend success, while midfielders Melina Hammer, Megan Havron, Sarah Mueller, and Tasha Peterson and forward Claire Benedetti worked the field and created scoring opportunities for the offense.  Goalkeeping duties were provided by Rachel Kosena.  Arsenal U17G remain undefeated in league play (7-0) with an overall season record of 9-1-1.

U14 Arsenal Boys Blue team coached by Andy Adamek, Josh Wilcox and Colby Smith traveled to Wyoming to compete in the Sheridan County Big Horn Snickers Cup Tournament on May 13-14th, taking home 3rd place medals after an exciting weekend of play. In game 1 against Billings Magic City White U14 Premier, Blue took an early lead with a well placed throwin to the box by Ethan Hayes connecting with Aidan Tonidandel at minute 9:08. Arsenal was then allowed only 9 more shots by a skilled and physical Billings backfield. Team defending and pressure by Blue limited Billings to only 4 shots in the second half, with their final shot at 5 seconds left hitting the cross bar and then pounded in on the rebound to equalize and finish in a disapointing 1-1 draw. Keeper Dylan Maharg kept Blue in the game with 7 saves. With this win snatched away in the final seconds Blue came out unfocused in game 2 to play to a 1-1 draw against host club SC Storm as it scored with only 95 seconds left in the game. Blue took 25 shots, finding the net only once in the 45th minute with quick central combining by Hayes to connect to left winger Tyler Jost on the run from wide. Keeper Maharg was credited with 3 saves in game 2. In game 3 Blue demonstrated its character after going down 3 goals by half against an older and polished Worland SC team (who went on to take 1st place at the tournament) . With halftime adjustments calling for midfield patience and loading to wide players Blue battled back to score 2 goals (1 by Tonidandel and 1 by Luke Sullivan). In what appeared to be a dramatic equalizer at minute 68 Sullivan was called offside after shaking the net. Valiant effort was demonstrated by the entire team in game 3, with standouts Josh Wilcox orchestrating possession in his defensive midfielder role and backfield players Casey Fladager, Shaun O'Brien, Dylan Hoogerheide, Nathan Adamek and Reid Jankowski repulsing blistering attacks by Worland, limiting them to only 11 shots the entire game with 4 saves logged by Maharg. Three games of perserverance paid off with a 1 point goal differential pushing Blue into the consolation final playoff game against the Casper Blades. Blue came out big in game 4 with its only goal scored by Charles McLaren 90 seconds into the game. It took an entire team effort of exhausted players to hold this nailbiting lead to the final tweet. Congrats Arsenal Blue!

U18 Arsenal Boys team coached by Charly Ayidomihou, won the Montana Rush Cup tournament this past weekend. Helena came out on top of bracket play on Saturday. In their first game, Arsenal came back from a three goal deficit to tie Butte. Dawson Tedesco sparked the comeback with a shot from 30 yards out to score the first goal. Jackson Keller was able to follow that up with two additional goals. The first was scored off a penalty kick and the second by burying a rebounded shot that the Butte keeper was unable to secure. After that initial game, Helena outscored their opponents by an 11-1 margin. Colin McLean kicked off the scoring in Saturday’s second game against Laurel. Keller and Jacob Ries-Roncalli combined for two additional goals. Each getting an assist and a goal. Cameron Wilcox was able to shut down a strong striker for the Laurel team to help earn Gabe Studt the shut out in goal. In the semi-final game, Jacob Ries-Roncalli was able to bend a corner kick into the box against a stiff wind. The Great Falls players were unable to handle the kick and an own goal was the result. A few minutes later, Keller was able to add a security goal off a direct kick from Gavin Carlson. Carlson played the ball into the box and Keller was able to track the bounce after the keeper over ran the ball and volley it into the back of the net. In the Championship game, Helena came out ready to play. Aiden Adamek and Keller worked the ball down the right side and scored within the first minute. Adamek picked up his second assist three minutes later when Connor Bartleson scored the second goal. Ries-Roncalli later crossed the ball into the box and Keller was able to put it in for the third goal before halftime. Harrison Dengel and Keller combined for the next two goals. Late in the game, Ryan Quinn provided the assist to Ben Ries-Roncalli for the final goal. The Arsenal squad sends thanks and healing thoughts to the Butte team. Butte players suffered several injuries Sunday but still played hard until the final whistle.