The HYSA Board of Directors meets on the third Monday evening of every month, at 5:30 pm at the Comfort Suites Washington Avenue, north of the Siebel Soccer Complex.
Frank Cornwell has lived in Montana his entire life and has grown to love the greater area of Helena since he moved here in 2009. He developed a love for the game of soccer during the first time he saw his daughters, Taylor and Ashlynn, start playing for HYSA.
Ever since their first games, he’s been coaching having earned his E License and then joining the HYSA Board of Directors in 2013. He has coached 6 years of recreational league soccer and had 3 straight seasons were his teams did not lose a game. He is also proud that most of the players he has coached with the recreational program have moved on to play competitively in the Arsenal program. Along with his involvement with the recreational program, Frank continues to be actively involved in coaching after having completed 5 years of coaching Arsenal Academy and Arsenal competitive soccer.
Scott Lockwood - Immediate Past President
Recognizing a need for girls to develop their soccer skills in an all-girls environment, 1990’s he approached the HYSA with an idea for an All Girls League. He and Dave Michels set up a registration table in the Capital Hill Mall and the first season about 45 grade school age girls played the first recreational soccer sponsored by HYSA. The turnout doubled every season for many years and became a vibrant force in the emerging dominance of Helena girls soccer throughout Montana. This program eventually evolved into our recreational soccer program available for boys and girls.
Scott has been on the HYSA board of directors nearly every year since the beginning and is currently the President of HYSA. He was the MYSA state player registrar and has been recognized as coach of the year by HYSA and the Montana Youth Soccer Association. He was the State Referee Administrator for Montana for more than 25 years and continues to train more than 100 referees every year. He has been the Soccer rules interpreter for the Montana High School Association for more than 20 years and has sat on the National Federation of High Schools Soccer Rules committee for 3 years.
Cindy earned a bachelor’s degree in finance and economics in 1989 and a law degree in 1992, both from the University of Montana. She is the Chief Remediation Counsel for the Montana Department of Environmental Quality, overseeing Superfund enforcement and hazardous waste cleanup throughout the state. Prior to working for DEQ, Cindy was in private practice in Missoula with the law firm Datsopoulos, MacDonald and Lind, P.C., and also clerked at the Montana Supreme Court.
Besides serving as the Secretary on the HYSA Board, Cindy is the Capital High School parent representative to the Helena School District’s Parent Advisory Council and is the parent representative on the Helena School District’s Materials Review Standing Committee. She previously served on the Board of Directors for the Helena Youth Choir, as the Secretary of the Board of Trustees for the Shodair Children's Hospital, on the Montana Children's Home and Hospital Foundation Board of Trustees, and as Chair of the Phoenix Fund for Animals for 11 years.
In her spare time, Cindy’s greatest joy is spending time with her family and together they enjoy traveling, reading, cooking, hiking, theatre, and lake life.
Mike has been involved in youth soccer since 1995 when he coached his oldest son Chris in Kennewick Washington. Since then he has coached both girls and boys teams up to the U-14 level in Washington and Montana. He holds E Level Coaching Certification. Mike also played high school soccer well before soccer was a popular youth sport. While living in Germany with the US Military he played on the local club soccer team. He currently has two children involved in the program both playing at the Arsenal level and his niece is currently involved in the recreational program. Mike is an active referee and each weekend you can find him refereeing multiple youth games. Mike works locally for an environmental remediation firm located in St Paul MN.
- Grew up playing soccer in Helena, with the YMCA program and during the very early years of HYSA -- attended Capital High School in the dark ages before soccer was a sanctioned high school sport
- Played collegiate soccer for four years at Willamette University in Salem Oregon, graduated in Chemistry
- Graduate school at University of Wisconsin in Madison, M.S. in Water Chemistry
- Coach/assistant coach for HYSA Arsenal teams beginning in 2008, assistant coaching U-16 Boys this year
- Married with two kids - wife Shannon, son Eli (15), daughter Brynn (14), both HYSA players
- Employed at Hydrometrics (consulting environmental scientists/engineers) for 19 years, currently sciences group manager in the Helena office
- Other interests -- my second career as a musician, playing classical and jazz piano around town as much as possible, a couple solo gigs with the Helena Symphony, accompanist for the Helena Chamber Singers, church musician at First Lutheran and occasionally other houses of worship -- flyfishing and wilderness hiking/backpacking
- FUN SOCCER FACT - my college roommate at Willamette played high school soccer with former U.S. National Team goalkeeper Kasey Keller.
Questions about the HYSA Board's Meeting Minutes can be sent via our general email address to the attention of our Board President.